Monday, May 11, 2009

Sales Tactics- BEWARE

I read many articles and books and bloggs about sales. Most espouse "tactics" to handle certain situations. (What do you do if the client says "Just give me a quote?"). Some/most approaches are manipulative. Most think that the buyer does not "see YOU coming". Of course, they do. So beware of what you read and question its validty for YOU. Ask, "Would I like it if I were being sold to this way?"

I saw a great commercial on TV yesterday watching The Players golf telecast. PriceWaterhouseCoopers (in a commercial) began "The lessons of life become lessons for business." Isn't that what it is all about? I'll paraphrase some of what I remember...

1) Take a personal interest in the buyer and s/he will openly share their thoughts/challenges; they will tell you the answers to the 18 questions you would have never thought to ask. (We call this GIVE TO GET)

2) Some say that adversity builds character; I think it reveals whether a person has it.

3) How we conduct ourselves day-to-day is a roadmap of how we will conduct ourselves in crisis (can you say "end of the month/quarter"?).

4) The only way to build sustainable relationships is to let people see your vulnerabilities.

5) Going with the pack is easy but much more difficut to be forward-thinking and go around the corner to see the treasure of an idea.

6) Clients do not care how much you know until they know how much you care.

No comments:

Post a Comment